The University of Agriculture is one of the 24 higher education institutions in Krakow. The history of the university dates to 1890 when a 3-year Agronomy College was established at the Faculty of Philosophy of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow. The endeavours of its first principal, prof. Emil Godlewski, resulted in building Collegium Agronomicum in the years 1906-1910, which now seats the university rectors and the Senate.
In 1923 it evolved into the Faculty of Agriculture at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow. After the Second World War hostilities had ceased, the faculty resumed its activities to finally become a separate entity in 1949. As an independent educational institution, it has since been offering education in a wide range of bioeconomic areas at the Faculty of Agriculture and Economics, Faculty of Forestry, Faculty of Animal Science, Faculty of Environmental Engineering and Surveying, Faculty of Biotechnology and Horticulture, Faculty of Production and Power Engineering, Faculty of Food Technology and at the University Centre of Veterinary Medicine JU-AU run in cooperation with the Jagiellonian University. Currently, nearly 8000 students attend undergraduate and graduate studies at the university and its Doctoral School. Classes are conducted by 750 academics and all faculties are eligible to confer doctoral and postdoctoral degrees.